To be able to practice in Australia with the support of the health system you will need to be certified and on the Pedorthic register.
There are currently 2 pathways to get certified. If you are new to Pedorthics you will need to complete the Bachelor of Clinical Science in Pedorthics. If you have already done vocational training in footwear and Pedorthics and have years of work experience you can still get onto the register using the current pre-certification program.
As part of the process of improving the professionalism of Pedorthics, PAA has developed a certification process for individuals that provide pedorthic services and products. Certification is available at three levels to cover the three types of provision of service and advice and are as follows.
- CPed CM Au for individuals that provide a full service to the client including advice on the possibilities of Medical Grade Footwear and custom made footwear where ready made products are not suitable.
- CPed Au or individuals that provide advice on the provision of medical grade footwear and modify ready made product to match the requirements of the patient.
- CRetPed for individuals that provide advice and ready made footwear for patients.
Benefits of Certification
- Independent recognition of the competency of the Pedorthists.
- Improving the confidence of the public, including doctors, government and medical insurance companies in the pedorthic industry.
- Publication of the Certified Pedorthists at all levels of the industry.