Find a Pedorthist
Professional Pedorthists are available across Australia find your nearest to book an appointment today
Join the PAA today
Partner with us to create a strong future for all Australian Pedorthists
Research and Standards
Diabetic Foot Australia guideline on footwear for people with diabetes
van Netten et al. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research (2018) 11:2
National Association of Diabetes Centres Collaborative Interdisciplinary Diabetes High Risk Foot Services (HRFS) Standards
Published: July 2018
Pedorthic Association of Australia
The Pedorthic Association of Australia represents the professional practitioners of Pedorthics, a field concerned with the provision of medical grade footwear, orthotic appliances and expert and appropriate advice to patients after detailed assessment and analysis of the patient’s problem(s).
Pedorthists are skilled in the provision of:
- Advice on the need and application of medical grade footwear and orthotic appliances
- Prefabricated footwear
- Alteration of prefabricated footwear
- Custom designed and manufactured footwear
- Custom designed and manufactured orthotic appliances
The Pedorthic Association of Australia is a key stakeholder in the medical grade footwear industry and is passionate about:
- Educating its members in current best practices
- Encouraging and facilitating high level uniform practice of its members through development of industry standards
- Collaborating with other professionals in advances in the area of foot and lower limb health
- Providing professional opportunities for the exchange of information throughout the membership through conferences and publications
- Representing its members when it sees the opportunity to improve and advance the foot and lower limb health field.
PAA is open to new members including:
- Professionals in the Medical Grade Footwear industry
- Other health practitioners
- Special interest groups interested in the field of foot and lower limb health and well-being
Become a member of the PAA and partner with us to create a strong future for all Australian Pedorthists.
There are 3 different levels of Certified Pedorthists in Australia
The human foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons. The 52 bones in your feet make up about 25 percent of all the bones in your body. When these bones are out of kilter, it is likely that so is the rest of your body. Foot orthoses or orthotic devices are specially designed shoe inserts that help support the feet, improve foot posture and correct any imbalances.
Foot orthoses or orthotic devices are specially designed shoe inserts that help support the feet, improve foot posture and correct any imbalances.